Armenia Lifeline Road Network Improvement Project
Within the framework of cooperation between the Republic of Armenia and the World Bank, the Lifeline Road Network Improvement Project was launched in 2013 and is implemented in accordance with the following three Loan Agreements:
- Agreement 8229 AM: Lifeline Road Network Improvement Project (LRNIIP) signed on 11 February 2013.
- Agreement 8523 AM: Lifeline Road Network Improvement Project: Additional Financing (LRNIIP AF Project) signed on 26 August 2015.
- Agreement 8957 AM: Lifeline Road Network Improvement Project: Second Additional Financing (LRNIIP AF-2 Project) signed on 10 October 2019.
Project completion date is 31 December 2022.
The Project includes two main components: lifeline roads improvement, and project management and institutional capacity building. The activities of LRNIP and LRNIP-AF projects are completed. The LRNIP-AF2 Project is being implemented in accordance with the scheduled action plan.
Component 1. Lifeline Road Network Improvement Project
Within the framework of LRNIP and LRNIP-AF Projects, overall 392,5 km roads were rehabilitated (during 2013-2017 LRNIP Project – 211,41km and during 2016-2020 LRNIP-AF Project - 181․05 km).
Under the scope of LRNIP-AF2, the commencement of rehabilitation works of 12 roads with overall length 68,74 km was given during October-November 2020. As of the 31st of December 2021, out of 12 roads, 10 have already been rehabilitated and put into operation (55.84 km in total). The two road sections (12.9 km) are envisaged to be put into operation in 2022.
This component of Project comprises the following:
- Technical audit of roads rehabilitation works (ongoing)
- Improvement of “black spots” on roads (locations with more accidents) (ongoing)
- Placement of road signs (completed)
- Installation of traffic counters.
Component 2. Project management and institutional capacity building
A part of the following project provisions under this component are completed and the other part is being implemented in accordance with the scheduled action plan. In particular:
- Road asset management system and data collection (completed)
- Design of development plan for lifeline road network (ongoing)
- Introduction of accident data collection and management system (ongoing)
- Road safety education and public awareness campaign (completed)
- Social monitoring and assessment survey (ongoing)
- Natural disaster risk assessment in road infrastructure (ongoing)
- Pilot implementation of Performance based contracts (ongoing)
- Recruitment of interns (ongoing)